Monday, August 19, 2013

Blogger Settings

I know...'settings' sounds like a boring topic, but we HAVE to discuss them to help 'set' you up for success in your blogging platform.

First it is a good idea to get used to the layout of Blogger, so check out this quick video (in under two minutes)



Settings to consider:
Connect with Google Plus - in order to make the switch, HERE is a tutorial.  I have found making the connection between my Google products (and adding my picture) has made me more 'social'.  I don't know why and I have no research to back me, but it seems to me when you put a picture to your work you have more ownership in the end product.


Templates - change your template at any time!  I haven't tried to create a new template, but there are a ton of videos out there talking about how.  Tomorrow we will explore the land of Gadgets to personalize your blog.  Today don't be shy about taking a look at the preloaded templates and settle on one that matches your vision for your blog.


Other settings to consider:
You choose how people will interact (or if they are able) to add comments to your blog.  Because I have enabled Google + comments, I do receive a notification when comments are published.

Under "Basic" you can change the description of your blog to help others better understand the purpose for your blog posts.  You can also change the title, but there could be a negative impact if you have already had comments - so read carefully before changing.

One rule of thumb whenever working with technology is to NEVER underestimate the power of the 'Help' menu!  I'm always shocked at how much more helpful these sites have become!  Don't forget Blogger even has its own YouTube Channel to assist you in setting up and managing your blog.

As we are nearing the end of this post, your challenge for today is to look through the settings and make some changes and then preview other's blogs that look interesting to you and write down the pieces that are on their blogs you would like to replicate on your site.

Post to #lpsconnects and let us know what goals you have for blogging and some of the tools and gadgets you might want to consider adding!

No comments:

Post a Comment